Saturday, June 9, 2007

Peru - The Start of a New Adventure

Hola from Cuzco,

After nearly 24 hours of traveling, we finally made it to Cuzco at 7:00AM this morning (that´s 5:00 California time). We landed in Lima at about midnight and spent the night in the airport. As my parents always say, I´ve always been a good sleeper, and didn´t have too much trouble sleeping, first in a restaurant booth and then in the terminal waiting area. What I´m not so good at is waking up. Although there was a number of people bustling around the airport and many announcements on the loud speaker, I slept right through it all and would have missed the flight altogether if I was traveling alone. Fortunately my Aunt Cindy and her friends were watching my back.

Has anyone seen the movie about the soccer team whose plane crashed into the Andes? Well, after flying over the Andes on the way to Cuzco this morning, I started wondering who I would eat when we crashed, as we surely would considering how close we were to the mountain tops. In looking around the plane, I found that most people didn´t look like they had enough meat on their bones to keep me going for very long. Fortunately, we eked by and made back to solid ground in Cuzco. I spent the rest of the day sleeping because airport and airplane sleep doesn´t count. We just finished a spectacular dinner of chicken and french fries. I love that french fries are the starch of choice in Peru, but it did make me wonder how everyone stays so skinny here. Perhaps its the altitude?

That´s all for now. Stay tuned for my adventures from Machu Picchu. We leave on the early train tomorrow.

No comments: