Sunday, April 27, 2008

Russia - Top Ten Lessons Learned on the Moscow Metro

A la David Letterman I thought I'd share some things that Jenny and I learned by taking the Moscow Metro.

10. Escalator arm rails move at a faster pace than the escalator itself.
9. Riding escalators backwards to talk to your friends or make out with your girlfriend/boyfriend is common and socially acceptable.
8. Operable windows are allowed in underground trains. I've never seen this so I just assumed that this was a bad idea, but apparently they are a good (and perhaps only) source of ventilation on trains.
7. Befriend a Russian before attempting to purchase metro tickets.
6. The center of the earth is much cooler that we were taught in elementary school.
5. It is easy to get lost inside the station so look for the big escalators (works 90% of the time).
4. Metro stations are a good place to pick up essentials, such as swords, keys, and underwear.
3. Signs in the metro stations are color coded to match the maps. This significantly reduces the time needed to find the right train.
2. Just look for the first three characters of the next station on your route to determine the direction you want to head. This is much faster than looking for your destination station.
1. And the most important lesson... Never take the metro during rush hour. I cannot stress this enough. Just don't do it.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

My favorite tips are 10 and 9. All, however, are invaluable in my opinion. You have done a great service for future would be travelers on the Metro