Saturday, April 18, 2009

Bienvenido a Costa Rica

You may or may not be aware that I have taken a trip to Costa Rica. Norm was rewarded for all his hard work with an all expenses paid trip to the Four Season in Costa Rica for him and a guest and apparently I laughed at enough of his jokes to get the guest spot so here I am... I was very excited to break in my brand new passport but am a little nervous to get a taste of a first class vacation. Can I really go back to $5 per night hostels after 4 nights at the Four Seasons with an ocean view?

This trip started off a bit shaky. We were scheduled to take the red eye departing SFO at 12:35 AM Saturday, change planes in Houston and arrive in Liberia Costa Rica before noon. Unfortunately, it didn't work out quite that nice. We learned that the plane was running late but on the encouragement of the phone agents we went to the airport early anyways. Turns out this was good advice because before long we were on the 6:00 PM departure that was delayed until midnight. We later learned that our original flight was cancelled and I could be spending the weekend in San Francisco instead of Papagao.

Once in Houston we learn that our flight to Costa Rica is also delayed so instead of a 2 hour layover, we had 5 hours to really get to know the Houston airport. I learned that there really isn't a lot to do at the Houston airport between 6:00 and 11:00 AM.

After a few hours on the plane, an hour long drive to the resort, we finally checked in to the hotel and I've managed to test the bed (very comfy) and the shower (hot and with water pressure... something I did not have on my last Costa Rica adventure).

No comments: