Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My Return to Africa

Many of you know that I spent four months in South Africa and neighboring countries back in 2002.  As much as I loved my time there, there is so much of the world that I have yet to explore.  I told Colleen that I would only go to Africa with her if we went to see the mountain gorillas.  My friend, June, has been twice to see the gorillas and after watching her videos I knew that I needed to add this to my bucket list.  Colleen agreed to my terms and before too much time had passed we talked Holly and Dan into joining us and booked a ticket to Uganda.  All this happened so many months ago that it is hard to believe that the trip is now upon us.

Tomorrow, Colleen and I leave SFO and board a flight to Frankfurt where we are lucky to have a 12 hour layover (arrgh).  The biggest challenge in this layover is that it is summer in Africa and winter in Germany.  Fortunately, I rescued a couple coats from the donation pile at my parents house which we will donate to the Frankfurt airport on our departure.   From Frankfurt we head to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia for a four hour layover.  We are yet to determine if this is enough time to get a stamp on the passport and take a whirlwind tour of the city.  Then we finally head to Entembe, Uganda where we will spend one night before embarking on a 9 hour drive to Kisoro, Uganda.  We have one chance to see the gorillas so hopefully we will not be disappointed.

After the gorillas we plan to spend some time on Safari in Tanzania before finishing off the trip with some R&R in Zanzibar.  If you are interested in hearing about the details, stay tuned.  I will try to blog when I can.  

No comments: