Thursday, July 10, 2014

Last Few Days and a Little Advice

I learned a somewhat obvious life lesson on the road from Myvatn to Akureyri and I thought I should share. If you see an amazing waterfall just across a bridge and a rest stop before the bridge, stop and use the bathroom before heading to the waterfall. You will enjoy it far more. I recommend this even if you don't think you need to go because as soon as you step out of the car to the roar of the falls, you'll regret it.

The waterfall that taught me this lesson was the last of the well known falls I would see on my tour of the island. It's named Godafoss (waterfall of the gods), named because some tribal leader dumped all his pagan idols into it when he converted to Christianity.


After a short while longer, I arrived in Akureyri, the second largest city in Iceland with a whopping population of 17,000. Compared to every town I've stayed in outside Reykjavik, it was huge. I was thrilled to have more than two dining choices.

The following day I had a long drive back to Reykjavik, nearly 400 kilometers in a single day. The drive, while long, was just as scenic as every other drive in the country. After several hours and a few stops, I finally made it back to the capital.





My last day in Reykjavik was spent touring around, including a free walking tour, which I highly recommend, and some window shopping. I considered bring some souvenirs and gifts, but after nearly two weeks drinking $5 coffees and eating $30 hamburgers, I couldn't bring myself to buy a $40 t-shirt or $70 mud mask.

My recommendation... go to Iceland but budget to spend a lot of money on food and lodging. Fortunately, nature I'd free. And don't worry about GPS :)






No comments: